top of page

The History of Greenhead Park bowling greens

Updated: Dec 1, 2020

Bowling News


There are substantial records of the history of Greenhead Park but one of the best was written by David Griffiths and published in 2011 called 'Greenhead Park - secured for the town'.


This shows maps (below) where the two bowling greens and tennis courts are now sited, were never part of the original design in fact the land on which they are sited was never part of the original Park. The path running in front of the clubhouse was originally a road outside the boundary of the Park. The Park was extended in 1923 and the bowling greens added and officially opened in 1927 as the extract below shows.


While this municipal pantomime played out, the Borough Architect, Luther Smith, had produced his first sketch plans for the extension in July 1923. But there were to be several more twists before the scheme came to fruition. The official opening was not until 2 June 1927, when “beautiful summer weather” attended the opening of 14 tennis courts, two bowling greens, two putting greens and the pavilion, with its cafe and changing rooms.


In an echo of the 1884 ceremony with its bejewelled gold key, but in more straitened financial times, the Mayor was presented with a silver-gilt key to the pavilion, and the donation of the clock by Ulrich and Mrs Fiechter was recognised by presenting the latter with a handbag. The Mayor and Alderman Woolven then bowled the first bowls, and tea was served in a large marquee.


The complete 72-page book is a great record of an important part of the town's history and packed with details over a very long period. An excellent read for locals and come-inners.

GreenheadPark - secured for the town
.pdf
Download PDF • 9.65MB

Above is the bowling pavilion in 1949 and below maps of the green showing the extension introduced in 1923 to enable the construction of the two bowling greens.


113 views1 comment

Recent Posts

See All

1 Comment

Rated 0 out of 5 stars.
No ratings yet

Add a rating

Very interesting details of one of our beautiful parks thank you. The bowling greens were used to play one of the most loved ladies competitions back in the ? 80's 90,s or maybe even earlier. The competition was very popular and attracted a large entry. The competition was called the Huddersfield Ladies Summer Festival and was played over the traditional textile holiday fortnight in late July. The festival if I remember rightly alternated between Greenhead and Ravensknolwle Park and local dignitaries presented the prizes.


Hazel Rangeley

Like
bottom of page